Sunday, June 27, 2010

Periodic Feeding with Compost Tea for Continued Success


I've written about how it is imperative to continue to feed your plants after the initial planting.  I know how hard it gets to continue to care for plants after the temperatures rise up into the 90s.  It seems it takes almost all of my time just watering.  But I have learned that just a little plant food every other week will keep most summer vegetables going much longer...and also reduce stress which results in increased pest and disease problems as well as reduced production.

15 Gallon Homemade Compost Tea Brewer
My favorite "plant food" of choice is compost tea.  It is economical (it costs about $35 to build but virtually nothing to operate) and seems to have the same magical properties that compost has.  I usually add some actual fertilizer to my compost tea and water all my potted plants and raised beds.

If you want to know more about how to build your own compost tea brewer, click on the link under Popular Posts to the right.  There are also some good videos under Natural Gardening Links.

No comments:

Post a Comment