Sunday, June 27, 2010

Complimentary Planting for Beauty and Pest Control

I was complaining to my mother-in-law about how my raised beds did not have the curb appeal that the flowers I sell have from the road in front of the store.  She suggested that I do some complimentary planting that would serve both to create a more beautiful garden and provide some added pest protection.  So I planted marigolds, known for their ability to repel insects, basil (for eating), and citronella (the mosquito plant) in addition to four tomato plants in the middle.

Complimentary Planting with Tomatoes, Marigolds, Basil and Citronella
I was pleasantly surprised with how much more attractive the bed was and the plants seem to be doing very well so far.  The crowding hasn't appeared to affect production.

No comments:

Post a Comment