Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Great Plants Start with Great Soil!

The soil is THE key to healthy and productive plants.  We all tend to blame insects, disease (unseen pests), and drought for our problems, but, in truth, it started at the beginning of the season during soil preparation.  In my lawn and gardens, I have very few problems and I attribute it to putting in the effort and money in the beginning on building up great stores of energy and nutrition in the soil.  After that, the "life underground" takes care of the rest.  I'm pretty lazy after planting, only side-dressing or drenching plants when they appear stressed or underperforming, but I spend lots of time and energy up front.

Here's my recommendations for getting off to a great start this garden season.   I have three strategies:  First, for new or worn-out beds, I use a soil building formula that includes trace minerals, a carbon source to improve tilth and hold water, and food (sugars) for the microorganisms (which constitute the stomach of the plant digesting your soil addtivies into a form the plant can use).  I use rock dusts such as greensand and humates for the trace minerals.  I use corn meal (a mild fertilizer, carbon source, and natural fungicide) and dry molasses (a sugar and carbon source).  I spread it across the bed and work it in a few inches.  Second, I feed the plants.  For new plants, I "spike the hole" when I'm planting with a high powered organic fertilizer.  By only fertilizing in the hole, I'm only feeding my plant; not the weeds.  Since organic fertilizers are water insoluble, there is virtually no leaching and they become available when the plant/soil ecosystem request it.  For existing beds, I broadcast an organic fertilizer (my favorite is Buds N Blooms 6-8-4) around the plants and water in.  Third, and finally, I spread a manure based compost around the plants.  Compost is a "natural tonic" that fixes most soil problems very quickly.  If/when you have problem later on, I suggest you first try spreading a thin layer of compost around the sick plant and water in.  Many times, this will solve the problem.

To summarize 1-Build the Soil, 2 - Feed the Plant, 3 - Compost.  Then enjoy the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment